Homeopathic medicines may be utilized by naturopathic physicians to treat the pain and spasm associated with kidney stones. When treating the passage of a kidney stone with homeopathy, it is important to remember that the size of the stone must be small enough to pass without surgical intervention and that administration of the homeopathic medicine usually changes the clinical picture, which will then require a different remedy. Other therapies, such as herbal medicines, hot packs, and supplements, are sometimes used with homeopathy.The following homeopathic remedies have been utilized by naturopathic physicians in treating a kidney stone:
- Berberis vulgaris–Indicated for sharp, stitching pains that radiate to the groin area and right-sided kidney stones.
- Cantharis–Indicated for urine that burns and is passed drop by drop.
- Colocynthis–Indicated for pain over the whole abdomen while urinating.
- Ocimum canum–Indicated for pain accompanied by nausea and vomiting.
- Pennyroyal–Indicated for frequent urination and left-sided ureter spasm or stone.
The standard dosage for acute symptom relief is 3 pellets of 30C every 4 hours until symptoms resolve. Lower potencies, such as 6X, 6C, 30X, may be given every 2 to 4 hours. Symptoms may improve shortly after the second dose. If there is no improvement after 3 doses, a different remedy is given. Note: Most homeopathic remedies are delivered in a pellet that has a lactose (milk sugar) base. Homeopathic liquid may be a better choice for those who are lactose intolerant.